Monday, February 18, 2008

Obama before Hillary


I think I understand now what is at stake with preventing Hillary from becoming president in a way that I can articulate. I think her election would cement into the political landscape a way of campaigning which is cynical and contemptuous of the small -d democratic process. The idea is you win by any means necessary. I don't know if the origin of this is the old-line Bolsheviks or the spiritual children of Saul Alinsky but she is a practitioner of it and wrote her thesis on him.



Obama on the other hand is a "good" politician, kissing the babies, wearing the odd hats, making the backroom deals. He, of course, agreed with the National Democratic Committee with not seat delegates and not campaign in Michigan and Florida. Hillary won most of these delegates, so now they want to change the rules to include them.


If elected, as far as I see it, there would be no differences in what policies they would put forward.

What concerns me is the residual effect it would have on the Democratic Party to have been able to crush Obama in the nominating process regardless of total votes cast in the primaries, and votes of elected delgates.


This should end the inclusion of super-delegates. Let people like Charlie Rangel run on the ballot as regular delegates.

No comments:

Post a Comment