Sunday, December 4, 2005

Grand Central Terminal


I'm not just a Catholic blogger and a Catholic teacher, I do Catholic outreach in
the public. This is the mission of the Catholic Evidence Guild, to speak in public on the truth of the Catholic faith.


This weekend we were in Grand Central terminal. A member of the team was parking his car and some others were yet to arrive.


I heard screams and saw in the space of seconds, hundreds of people run up the stairs to get to the street. I was genuinely afraid that people were going to injured in the panic.


As the flow of people up from the subway dimished, a second wave was running down the stairs -- police officers.


I stood there waiting for instructions what to do. I was alone with a crucifix and about a thousand tracts on things from the Papacy to abortion -- from a half dozen
or dozen people walking past the table per second to zero, now virtually alone.


It turns out that the reports of gunfire were exaggerated. Someone blew out a bicycle tire. Elsewhere in the terminal a wedding was taking place.


I love this place as a New York City landmark. I've been all over the great train stations of Europe and Grand Centeral has a unique and classic look which was recently restored. It looks almost exactly as it did in those 1930's location films.


National Geographic is having a special Inside Grand Central on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment