Monday, January 26, 2009

News Observer (Raleigh, North Carolina) Evangelical worship attracts Hispanic Catholics

Behind its bland, warehouse-like exterior, Comunidad Cristiana Hosanna on Sunday morning is a feast for the senses.


Little girls in white robes and sequined headbands twirl as guitar, keyboard and timbales pound out salsa, merengue and American pop rhythms at rock-concert decibels. The crowd sings along with the robed chorus: "Levanto mis manos" -- "I raise my hands."


The trappings of the religion that dominates the Latin American culture in which these worshippers were raised -- the Roman Catholic rosaries and golden chalices -- give way to shouts and tambourines at this Pentecostal church in Southeast Raleigh. Congregants shake their hips and throw their heads back in praise for more than two hours.


There's quite a bit of this happening everywhere. Fortunately in my area, there are several Spanish speaking bishops, priests, deacons, and lay pastoral staff.


I problem I see but, not being a Spanish-speaker, am unable to contribute to the solution is the lack of formation in Latino immigrants. They are drawn not only by tradition but by community.

I wish I could say "faith" more than "tradition" but from my discussion with my Latino neighbors they really were never given the basics of the faith and anyone approaching them with Christian faith at their level is likely to "win" a convert, who may be a regular Mass-goer.

No comments:

Post a Comment