Sunday, January 6, 2008

Review: Iowa Caucus

I was surprised. It's all about demographics.

Democrats:


With such a small black population, it wasn't simply a case of winning the black vote. It was a generational issue as Dick Morris, Rush Limbaugh, and others have mentioned.


As for Edwards, he has no money, no organization, Iowa was his last stand.

The remarkable thing is how old everyone (except daughter Chelsea) was surrounding Hillary is. It really is a repudiation of that generation that came of age in from 1960 to 1980. I think the people born after 1960 who have been voting now for over 20 years are saying "You generation had your turn -- this is our turn." Hillary is 61. Edwards is 54. Obama is 46.


Republicans:


I was surprised Huckabee won. I thought that with the organization and focus that Romney would have pulled it off.


I think Romney's conversion to the pro-life cause is real. I know that several people I respect do not believe it. A good showing in NH/SC/MI is going to be necessary to keep his chances alive.


Could the field be reduced to McCain and Huckabee? That would be a big disappointment to me and others who believe that McCain has too often betrayed conservative causes. Huckabee, I am convinced in January is unelectable. Among non-evangelicals Romney won by a big margin.


I would take any of Romney, Thompson, or Giuliani over Huck-a-cain or McCain-a-bee.

No comments:

Post a Comment