Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Father John Cavanaugh


Today was his funeral. He was my father's cousin and close to him in age. So, until today, he was always exactly 31 years minus 1 day older than me. It was somewhat strange to hear stories of his life in the last 30 years because that's when I knew him the least. He entered the
Missionaries of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary
in 1968 when I was 14. He was ordained when he was 48. At that age, some priests are celebrating the 25th anniversary of their ordination. He concelebrated at my wedding and at the funerals of my parents. His parents came over from Ireland right after World War I. My parents came over from Ireland right after World War II so his family was tasked with turning my parents into "Americans".


I didn't realize it at the time, but he was providing a model of faith for me when I was about 10 years old.


This is the obituary that appeared in the
Press of Atlantic City



CAVANAUGH, FATHER JOHN J., M.SS.CC. 83 - of the Missionaries of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary, in Linwood, died February 22, 2006 at Shore Memorial Hospital, Somers Point. Father was a native New Yorker and came to South Jersey in 1990. He was born in New York City the son of the late Patrick and Helen Cavanaugh. Father Cavanaugh entered the Congregation of the Missionaries of the Sacred Hearts in 1968 and was ordained to the priesthood in 1971.

Before his priesthood he was employed as a teacher and social worker in the State of New York and was a WW II Navy Veteran. Father served as Associate Pastor at St. Ignatius of Antioch, Yardley, PA, Fairfield, PA, Newark and New York City and was Chaplain at St. Joseph's Home for the Blind, Jersey City. Father had served as Chaplain at Our Lady's Residence, in Pleasantville, for many years and was an associate pastor at Our Lady of Fatima, Holy Name in Camden and Our Lady of Sorrows in Linwood. He was also Vocation Director for the Missionaries of the Sacred Hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment