Sunday, May 10, 2009


My favorite Star Trek story


Star Trek (the original series 1966-69) was very influential in my life, it helped to focus my mind on math and science when I was 12 to 15.


When I went to college, WPIX 11 began showing the reruns. I attended State University of New York at Stony Brook and the signal from the Empire State Building was weak. So I brought out a television set and several extension cords, a table and a chair and watched Star Trek on a hill (here LAT 40.909854° LONG -73.129519°)


Apparently, this geeky sort of fandom from a Trekkie, Trekker, Trektard, etc. was new to the world and it got written up in the newspaper. Someone devoted to a canceled science fiction series? Who Knew? Maybe I was the "patient zero" of the movement to bring back "Star Trek".

No comments:

Post a Comment